Fall 2024 Application
The 2024 WWU Honors College Application deadline has passed but the Honors application remains open. Late applications will be reviewed after all on-time applications.
Priority Deadline for Fall 2024: December 13, 2023 at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time).
Regular Deadline for Fall 2024: February 13, 2024 at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time).
All on-time, complete applications received by the priority deadline will be reviewed for a final decision or rolled into regular admissions review by early February. All on-time, complete applications by the regular deadline will receive a final decision no later than mid-March.
The Honors College at WWU uses rolling admissions to evaluate and admit students as applications are received. While uncommon, we may fill our cohort prior to the regular admissions deadline, so it is advised to apply early.
Please note: To prevent the application portal from automatically timing out during your submission process, it is highly encouraged to have both the personal essay and writing sample prepared prior to opening your application portal.
Students New to Western:
- Complete Western Washington University's general application through Slate or through the Common App. Students can only access the Honors College application AFTER they have submitted their general Western application.
- The Common App takes 24 hours after submission to appear in our system, so students will not have access to the Honors application until then.
- Complete the Honors application for new students linked below. The login will be the same account you used to submit your WWU application.
Current Western Students:
CURRENT Western students are those who are ACTIVELY enrolled in classes at Western at the time they apply. Do not use the Current Student Application form if you are not registered for classes at Western yet.
- Complete the Honors application for current Western students linked below.
- Students applying for Fall quarters follow the Priority and Regular Admission Deadlines listed above.
Required Honors Application Materials
Submit a sample of your best, analytical academic written work. Honors is interested in a student's ability to analyze issues, books, and so on, to frame and develop an argument. The writing sample should be an academic writing piece that provides an analysis or logical reasoning response for the committee to review. Most commonly these kinds of papers come from English and history classes. Although we do not need to see the graded work, we do ask that you refrain from updating your writing sample and submit your original work for the committee’s review.
Submit a personal essay answering both of the below prompts in a single document. This may be written as a single essay, in which the word count does not exceed 600 words. Or you may answer the prompts separately (but in the same document) keeping to a 300-word limit per prompt.
- At WWU Honors, our motto is to cultivate community by striving compassionately for knowledge. How do you see yourself upholding these community values while at Western and beyond?
- The Honors College curriculum is a combination of interdisciplinary study (the First-Year Sequence and Senior Seminars) and disciplinary study (Colloquia). Our courses unite around common conceptual pursuits, such as the nature of justice, power, and love; the processes by which humans make decisions and determine values; and the relationships between individuals and the communities they inhabit. Reflecting on your lived experiences, in what ways will/should these types of discussions contribute to your college experience and your future goals?
Letter(s) of recommendation from a teacher or counselor are highly recommended but not required.
The Honors admissions team has access and will review all materials you submit to WWU - including letters of recommendation submitted with your general application. With that in mind, it is more beneficial for you to submit different letters of recommendation than the ones you have already sent to WWU.
Letters of recommendation can also be submitted by emailing them to email@example.com.